Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Monsoon Cup Qualifiers


Last weekend I headed to Malaysia to Kuala Teranganu for my first experience match racing.

The team was formed by Iris(main), Alisson(bow/main/tactitian), James(skipper), Ross(trim/pit), and Me (trim).

Only Alisson had experience in match racing and I had no idea how intense and hard match racing is.

By the end of the first day racing I could not move anymore. My hands would cramp, belly, back and shoulders as well ... needless to say I am not on my best shape after abandoning the gym for more than a month and being sick for the last couple weeks. Next time I am going to the gym every day for at least 2 months before saying yes to an event of this caliber.

There were 4 teams representing NZ (the winners), Hong Kong, Thailand and us for Singapore.
We won 3 races from Thailand and lost 3 for them. We also lost 2 races to NZ and 4 to Hong Kong. It was a great learning experience and regatta. The people organizing and on the Umpire (sailing comittee) were world class (even including the guy that called the penalty from NZ on Alinghy on the last America's Cup) and the Kiwis are now going to compete on the Monsoon Cup as a prize for winning this event.



The Monsoon Cup is ran at the same club and it is part of the World Match Racing Circuit where a lot of BIG sailors are... check out http://www.monsooncup.com.my


Meanwhile .... Milena is in Hong Kong training managers for Fedex and heading to Australia in 2 weeks... Her birthday is coming up next weekend and we are not sure yet what we are going to do. Probably going to Trikora, our weekend getaway in Indonesia.... such internacional couple ... =)

No comments: